Home ] Next ]

THE PLYMOUTH HISTORICAL SOCIETY


The Plymouth Historical Society was organized on November 6, 1973 and it was incorporated in 1974.  Membership is open to everyone and dues for active members are currently $5.00 per person, per year.  Lifetime memberships are $100.00.  The goal of the Society is to preserve and make available, records and other memorabilia relevant to Plymouth and its environs.  The Plymouth Historical Museum welcomes donations of pictures, personal memorabilia, collections, vintage clothing, and anything else that can be displayed for the enjoyment of the general public.

                    The Museum is housed in the former Plymouth Public Library on Court Street.  The vintage building started out as one of two Grafton County Courthouses which were built in 1774.  It is currently the oldest building in the State of New Hampshire that was specifically built for courthouse use.  Initially, it was located on the corner of Russell and Pleasant Streets and it was there that Daniel Webster lost his first criminal case (in 1806).  After the new courthouse was built in 1823, the old building was sold and moved to South Main Street, where it became a wheelwright shop for many years.  Senator Henry W. Blair purchased the building, which had by then fallen into terrible disrepair, and gave it to the Young Ladies Library Association (YLLA).  He was able to gain the use of the land on Court Street and had the building moved to the site, where it was restored and put into good use by the YLLA, an organization still in existence today.  In 1982, the building was entered into the National Register and is a part of the Plymouth Historic District, established in March 1986.